If you’re happy and you know it..
If you are a parent, a teacher, or remember a big purple dinosaur, I dare say you can sing this along with me:
So for future reference, if you see a child clapping, stomping, nodding, spinning, and exclaiming “We Are!”.. leave them alone, they are Happy and they Know it! And thank yourself and the big purple dinosaur for providing this clear indication for a generation of kids, and us parents.
Because later on it is not that easy.
How do you know if someone is really happy?
I observe people, it is my job. And when I ask someone what they really want, most will say they just want to be happy.
But how do you know if someone is happy?
Gandhi provided this..
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
But what does that look like?
I have studied happiness, read lots of books on the subject, attended seminars/workshops, and listened to friends, colleagues, clients, share their thoughts on this subject.
What happy people look like.
Here are 10 common qualities that I have noticed in “Happy” people:
- They know happiness is a choice. They understand it does not come from outside. It is a decision to consciously create their own happiness.
- They don’t complain. They know it is a waste of time, energy, and only produces more of a negative mindset.
- They never blame others. They take 100% responsibility for their actions and outcomes, or their lack thereof.
- They avoid toxic people, place priority on healthy relationships, and spend time with positive, like-minded people.
- They are more effective than most at mastering their emotions. They feel things like we all do, but are not slaves to their emotions.
- They embrace change, they readily adapt, they are not creatures of habit and are comfortable with the unfamiliar.
- They are kind, generous, and take great pleasure in helping others achieve happiness. They are happy to make others look good and do not seek personal glory.
- They are life-long learners. They constantly work at educating themselves, learning, unlearning, and relearning.
- They are secure in who and what they are. Their sense of self-worth does not come from what they own, who they know, where they live or what they look like.
- They talk the talk, and walk the walk. They practice what they preach. They live it.
Do any of these qualities resonate with you? Do you consider yourself a happy person?
Actually, when you cut through all the fluff, here’s the only question that needs to be asked:
Do you want to be happy?
“Yes Monty, but..”
Nope, you cannot put conditions on it..
Do you “really” want to be happy?
If you want to be happy, you choose to be happy no matter what. Period.
This is your ultimate power and freedom, no one can do for you, no one can take it away.
By the way.. You rock!